Mar 17, 2014

HOW TO FIND A CHANTING MONK IN THAILAND

HOW TO FIND A CHANTING MONK
by Jon Mansell

I have always been interested and intrigued by the Buddhist philosophy and, in particular, the role of the Buddhist monk. On a recent trip to Thailand, I was determined explore this interest and learn more about these dedicated and mysterious men in the saffron robes.

I especially wanted to experience, first hand, monks chanting. This rhythmic, mesmerizing and calming sound has fascinated me since I first experimented with Transcendental Meditation back in my university days.

So I set out on my second day in Bangkok, to find a Buddhist monastery. There are hundreds of temples in Bangkok, however, there are not always monks in these temples. Living nearby in non descript resident monasteries, they rise early and set out to collect their “alms” of donations of food or money. This must be completed before noon at which time they break their fast with their donated food. I was directed to a local monastery and arrived before noon just as the monks were getting ready for their meal which was being prepared for them by many local volunteers. I did not stay, but was further directed to go the university campus where I was told many monks live and study. 
As I walked through the campus, I spotted a sign that offered free Buddhist meditation classes at 1:00 pm. I had time for a quick lunch and then returned. I was greeted by a soft spoken monk who asked me a few questions to assess my knowledge of Buddhism and why I was interested in learning more. He then took me to a quiet room where I was then instructed in something called “walking meditation”. It was fascinating, difficult at first and then strangely calming. I left feeling somewhat “enlightened” and wanting even more to hear the chanting monks, but it was not happening!

We left the next day for Chaing Mai in northern Thailand where I was told that best time to hear monks chanting was between 4:00 and 5:00 am before they set out to collect alms. I had one morning left before leaving Chaing Mai and I planned to rise early.

I overslept!!! Disappointed, I walked out into the courtyard of our hotel to have my morning coffee. Amazingly, I heard the rhythmic sound of chanting. Were they monks? Was it a recording? Following the sound, I came across an open upper area in the hotel where I observed 10 or 12 seated saffron-robed monks. At a respectful distance I sat and listened. They chanted for over an hour! It was beautiful and joyous and remarkable.

I did not have to find the chanting monks……they found me!

No comments: