Mar 29, 2015

25 Must See Places for Travelers



There are many places I still want to see and things I want to do in my lifetime. My earlier bucket list included overcoming my fear of heights.  I managed that by reaching the peak of Picacho Peak in southern Arizona.  It took 2 or 3 years of attempting it but I finally did it.  I also climbed a wall on a cruise ship and went up in a glider plane.

Everyone’s bucket list looks different.  I was in Mexico recently and spoke to two women in their early 60s who were having their hair corn-rowed.  That is when the hair is finely braided and beads are intertwined.  The interesting part was they both had short hair and I was fascinated as I watched them have the hair extensions put in as part of the procedure. They both remarked that having the corn-rows done was something they had on their bucket lists and they also managed to do other things on their list.  One had gone parasailing for the first time and the other one had done a jungle zip line trip.  The night before they had both danced on a bar top. They realized how short life was when a close friend their age died suddenly after a very brief battle with cancer. 

It used to be that people dreamed about seeing the Seven Wonders of the World in their lifetime.  With the world being so much easier to get around now and people have more free time the dreams are being realized.

In 2001 there was a new list for The Seven Wonders of the World.  These included:
The Great Wall of China
Petra - Jordan
Christ the Redeemer – Brazil
Machul Picchu - Peru
Chichen Itza – Mexico
Coliseum – Rome
Taj Mahal – India
There is only one remaining wonder of the ancient world left which is the Great Pyramid in Egypt.  I’ve climbed the Great Wall and Chichen Itza and seen the Coliseum in Rome. I definitely want to see Machul Picchu and the Great Pyamid.  If I don’t visit India or Jordan or Brazil, that’s okay.  I still have a number of other things I want to accomplish.

25 Other Top Items on My Travel Bucket List:
Visit Buckingham Palace   
Hear Big Ben in London strike
Visit Stonehenge   
Hear the Pipers in Scotland  
See the Alaskan Icebergs  
Go through the Panama Canal Locks
Look into a Hawaiian Volcano
Snorkel in Hawaii
Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef
See the sunrise from Ayers Rock
Ride in a Hot Air Balloon  
Do a safari to the Serengeti
Overlook Victoria Falls
Take a romantic Canal Boat Ride in Venice
Ride the Orient Express
Buy a carpet in Turkey
Have a drink in Casablanca  
Visit the White House
Watch Old Faithful blow in Yellowstone
Stand on Four Corners (USA)
Visit Havana, Cuba   
Lie on 7 Mile Beach – again!
Swim with turtles, dolphins, and sting-rays
Swim with the Manatee  
Go Barefoot Sailing in the Caribbean

Even though I am already a Baby Boomer in my 60s, I will accomplish what is still left on my travel bucket list!





No comments: