Mar 29, 2015

Pork, Pineapple, and Poi in Oahu

Pork, pineapple, and poi are pretty standard food sources on Oahu.  I was aware of pineapple but didn't realize how popular pork was as a food staple.

Roast pork (kalua pork - wild pig) is part of the luau.  The pig is wrapped in banana leaves and cocoanut fronds and buried in a pit with hot coals and is left to cook all day and then served as part of a Hawaiian party.

Aside from being a part of the luau, pork is on the menu in many restaurants and in many forms.  My favorite preparation so far is kalua nachos.  The combination of pork and a fresh pineapple relish is awesome, mixed with onions, cheese, guacamole and sour cream.

The jury's still out though on things like bacon candy.  I tried it but I didn't like it.  It reminded me of the inside of pork rind that had somehow been rendered right down to something hard.  The taste was what I remembered and getting it served as garnish on ice-cream wasn't exciting!

I found out a lot more about pineapples this trip too.  I didn't realize the fruit grew on bushes on the ground on a perennial plant. There is nothing sweeter than fresh pineapple and I made sure I ate lots on this trip.  I think I'll make it more of a staple in my diet.

Pineapple ice-cream hit the spot too but I'm still looking for pineapple wine to taste!

And poi?  Hawaiian poi is a traditional food staple made from the Taro root.  It is not something I developed a taste for this trip.  Maybe it will eventually grow on me... or go the way of the bacon candy.

No comments: