May 6, 2016

8 Steps to Building Your Travel Bucket List After Age 65!

Sometimes we have so many travel dreams and it’s hard to know here to begin to realize them, especially when we are over 65.  Over the last few years I’ve used the following techniques to build my travel bucket list. I learned it years ago when I was working with youth at risk, but it works well for anyone.

The first step is to identify what is important to you.

1. Write your bucket list down.
It’s very important to write your dreams down on a list. Then you have the opportunity to look at it and read it on a regular basis. Post it on your calendar or mirror. Make sure it is something you see first thing every morning.
Turkey

2. Determine which item on your list is most important for you to do first.
After making your list, determine the priorities. Write #1 next to the most important and #2 for the next most important, etc. Once you prioritize, your dreams actually start becoming goals.

3. Ignore other people’s advice.
Remember, this is your wish list, not someone else’s! Try not to share the information because you may get feedback you don’t want to hear!

4. Cut your dream list to no more than 10.
This is one of the hardest steps to take. You have your dreams, but what if your list is 3 pages long? Gradually go through them and draw a line through the ones that are least important AT THIS TIME or ones that aren’t realistic. Also remove any that involve others directly. An example of this is "I plan to visit Syria!"  Not realistic at this time because it isn't safe.

5. Short-list to 5 things on your bucket list.
I know it may sound ridiculous but this is a heart-wrenching move! Suddenly you are crossing off 5 of your dreams! It is difficult at first but as you go through the process, you realize what is most important to you to accomplish now.

6. Re-prioritize your bucket list.
You may find by now that you have taken a number of important dreams off your list that you thought were right up at the top. Re-number them again.

7. Determine your top dream.
This takes some real soul searching. I use the question, "If I knew I was going to die in 6 months, what would I do first?"

8. Start researching all the steps necessary to reach your dream by turning it into a GOAL.
One of my travel dreams was to go to Turkey.  Every traveler who had been there said it was the "birth of civilization as we know it!" It became a goal about a year ago but because of the political climate, I wasn't sure if I'd make it or not.  The opportunity to go with someone who has been there numerous times arose a month ago.  It was obviously a no brainer!  Now I'm researching everything about the areas we are going into.  

Part of my research came about when a friend, Rick Antonson, released his newest book about 2 weeks ago, "Full Moon Over Noah's Ark."www.rickantonson.com.  He started his journey where I will be ending mine.

Next Saturday I leave Vancouver for a month of travel in Turkey!  And yes, I will be blogging about my trip.  It all started with realizing what was on my personal bucket list and then believing my dreams will happen. 

So, give yourself permission to enjoy the rest of your life, dream about your travels, and travel wherever you want!
 



No comments: