May 14, 2016

Going to Turkey!

Many international traveler friends have told me if I don't go anywhere else in the world, go to Turkey!  They've all said, "It is the birth of civilization as we know it."  It's been on my bucket list for a long time and when the opportunity arose for me to go with someone who knew the country very well, I jumped at the chance.

So, tomorrow morning I begin my journey to Turkey.  I am all packed, and for those who know me, the packing process happened as soon as I made the decision to go.  I leave Kelowna just after lunch and a few hours later I fly from Vancouver.

I was talking to a cousin a few days ago and told her what I was doing.  She asked if I was going to Ephesus as she had journeyed there a few years ago and she couldn't explain the energy she experienced there. I told her I was and look forward to sharing my journey with her when I get home.

Silk Road Route
Ephesus is ancient ruins located near the city of Selcuk, Turkey where we will stay for the first 2 weeks and use it as our base.  The ruins reflect centuries of history from classical Greece to the Roman Empire to the spread of Christianity.  It was also the Mediterranean's main commercial area, part of the famous Silk Road where Marco Polo traveled.  In the country of Turkey he traveled from Constantinople (now known as Istanbul) to Gallapoli, to Troy, to Ephesus, to Olympos, to Cappadoccia, and finally Lake Van before leaving the country.

Southwest of Selcuk is a home that the mother of Jesus, the Virgin Mary, supposedly lived in after Jesus was crucified.

My journey will also take me as far as Cappadoccia, where we will stay for the second 2 weeks of the trip. Cappadoccia is well known for it's fairy chimneys.  Bronze age homes are carved into the valley walls by cave dwellers and used later by  early Christians hiding away.  It is a World Heritage site.

The journey I am going on will take me into some very historical areas but I will also experience local neighbourhoods where tourists don't normally venture.  That's the type of traveling I like to do.  I enjoy finding out about the local culture and shopping where they shop.  Follow me on this journey by linking to my blog site.  Just add your email and you will receive the posts automatically.

No comments: