May 11, 2016

Preparing for an International Flight

Over the last few years I have learned to prepare ahead of time for international flights. I’d rather be sitting having a glass of wine in security at a restaurant in the departure lounge than running to beat hell so I don’t miss my flight!
 I’m heading out in a few more days for an international flight from Vancouver, Canada to Istanbul, Turkey with a connection in Munich, Germany.  I allow a half hour to 1 hour to check my luggage and at least another 30 to 45 minutes to clear security when flying international. I don’t carry any liquids over 100 ml. in my carry-on luggage.  Creams and toothpaste okay - not usually considered liquids unless I am going through the US.  Then they must be stored in an airline approved plastic bag and be under the 100 ml or grams.
I also need a passport that won’t be expiring within the next 6 months. I have a cross the body lightweight purse where I carry my phone and my passport and other important things like driver’s license, credit cards, money, a couple of pens for filling out passport forms, and my check list.
A couple of important points to note…. Make sure you won't lose your pants if you take your belt off because you are going to have to. You will be asked to remove your jacket too if you are wearing one.  Take everything out of your pockets (wallet and coins) and remove your hat if you are wearing one.  It’s a good idea to wear slip-on shoes going through security because you will have to remove them if they have a steel shank or if you are traveling in the USA.
Once I get through security I may have another half hour or more getting to my next gate depending on connections and whether both flights are from the same terminal.  I prefer at least 2 hours if I’m travelling internationally but sometimes it isn’t possible to make those arrangements unless I’m doing an overnight stay.
I make sure my carry-on luggage is easy to carry and store. I prefer soft sided for carry-on in case I have to squish it under the seat or in the overhead during internal flights in a country once I reach my main destination.  I use a piece that weighs no more than 6 lbs empty, has at least one set of  wheels, can stand on its own, and piggybacks over the handle of the checked bag for easy movement pre and post flight.
Even 10 lbs without wheels may seem light at first but halfway through the journey it can get mighty heavy, just lifting it in and out of the overhead!
I carry an empty water bottle to fill after I get through security because I’ve learned from experience it gets tossed!  Most international airports have accessible drinking water available.  Otherwise, I ask the flight attendant to fill it for me occasionally so I keep hydrated during the flight.

Electronics
            Many of the international flights nowadays are set up so I can keep my electronics charged up while flying.  I didn’t want to drag my laptop with me on this flight so I have downloaded a program that works really well on my phone and tablet for writing documents.  Then I can copy and paste it to my travel blog when I have wifi or send it to my drop box to download when I get home.  The name of the app I am using is “docs” and is very user friendly.

Check List
My check list is something I began using after my first international flight.  Because of the time differences, lack of sleep, etc.  my brain might not be working as well as normal - that and the fact I’m getting older!  It is so easy to leave something tucked in the seat pocket or have something slip out of my carry-on.  There is nothing worse than finding out my wallet is missing between flights, or my headphones got left behind. (This is for you too, Paula!)

            I am definitely on countdown…. Only 3 days until I fly out!


No comments: