May 17, 2016

Good Morning, Selchuk Turkey!

The city of Selchuk,Turkey (or should I call it the village) is peaceful, quiet, and beautiful at 6:30 in the morning. The sun just peaked over the ancient fortress walls high on Mount Ayasuluk built in the Byzantine age.
As I look at the scenery in front of me it is difficult to explain the feeling of history surrounding me.
Selcuk (Ayasuluk) Fortress
For those who have been here before there is nothing I can say.  For those who want to experience the beginning of civilization as we know it, come visit.
Last night, Judy Smith, a lifelong traveler explained Selchuk as the only place she has ever visited where one can observe ancient pagan structures, Muslim structures, and early Christian structures all in the same place.
I arrived last night from Istanbul after spending a number of disjointed hours catching up on my sleep following my international journey from Canada.
The shuttle bus was late and my host, Ilker, from the Nazar Hotel www.nazarhotel.com was getting concerned that I was lost.  Not to worry! I showed up on my shuttle.
Life slows down here.  Because it was already 8:30, I dropped my bags and headed out to enjoy my first meal in Selcuk
(pronounced sell chuke).  I mention this only because of the difficulty the shuttle driver had trying to understand where I wished to go!
The entrance to the street where Judy and I would dine was magical.  Trees entwined above the softly lit pathway, creating a natural archway.
We walked down the path, visiting with different shop keepers along the way.  Judy had first started coming to Selchuk the first time over 20 years ago and some of the shopkeepers that we spoke with knew her back then.
A short while later we made it to our dinner destination, the TAT Restaurant tatcaferestaurant@hotmail.com I quickly found out that eating in Turkey was about the experience first and the food second..... although both are important.
 I had no idea what to order so we started off with local beer and I made choices from a window full of food platters.  We ended up with a collection of tapis, which we shared along with a hot steamy hollow loaf similar to naan and then followed it with shish kabob and other grilled meats.
Day 1 ended with a full tummy and excitement for whatever was next on the list!



No comments: