May 18, 2016

Ancient Wonders and Zultanite in Western Anatolia

Selcuk,Turkey in the province of Western Anatolia is moments away from some of the greatest wonders of the ancient world.  I think Judy was surprised at how slowly I have stepped into what is here but for me it is necessary.  I like to get a feeling of my own neighbourhood first and then step beyond.
The first day I posted a picture of the Selcuk Fortress.  Today, here are my views across my street.
Not only am I looking at the neighbour's house with the colourful laundry but a very close distance behind is the Basilica of St. John, built in the 6th century.  I am waiting patiently for a couple of days to go to the site, when there are no cruise ships coming in.
Basilica of St. John
 Iwant the site all to myself as the sun comes up over the wall.  It is a 10 minute walk from where I am living right now.  There is so much history written about the Basilica of St. John from both a religious perspective and an archeological one.  When I visit the site I will write about my experience and leave the readers to their own conclusions.

I decided to write about something to do with the ancient...... but not.  Yesterday I finally understood why people kept referring to my ring that I wear all the time.  Of course I didn't understand what they were saying but I knew my ring had the samesymbols as the Turkish flag.

In 2008 I purchased the ring in Mexico after living there a year.  It represented the energy I identified with Mexico.  In fact I had spent months negotiating with my favourite beach vendor before reaching an agreed upon price.  For those who have travelled extensively in Mexico, you will be well aware of the ancient sites situated throughout Mexico and extending through Central America and into South America.  The ancient wonders here are similar in the energy they radiate.

The symbols on my ring are interwoven with pegan signs in Mexico.  The symbols of the Moon and star in Turkey go centuries back before their modern day connection.

The Moon and star are now symbols of the Muslim faith.  They are represented on a red flag to understand the blood shed in this part of the world.  Again there is so much written history surrounding this that I won't go into it.

I decided it was time to purchase a new ring, one that would represent Turkey for me.  When I buy a ring it will usually stay on my finger for a long time.  I didn't have a year to negotiate though!  What I found was something I didn't expect.
Zultanite Ring
There is a gem found only in Western Anatolia, Turkey.  It is called Zultanite and was not available to anyone other than the Sultans who reined for many centuries....... again interesting history already written down.

Recently the gem has been allowed to be sold, but only in Turkey.  It is not allowed to be exported yet.  The gem is clear but changes colour, not just two different hues but four, depending on the light.
Amber Colour in Natural Light
 The setting I chose is unique too.  It represents old and new to me and so far it feels right on my finger!

An Update - I found out that the true Zultanite is so expensive that I certainly won't be able to afford it in my lifetime.  Like rubies, the gem is now being produced synthetically in labs.
It is very important to get your gem at a reputable jeweler's who is aware of how the gem is made and whether it comes from a well trusted lab.  The gem must have at least 4 changes of colour under different light conditions to be considered good quality.  If someone is attempting to sell you a gem that has been dug up, be aware!  I got all this information from Yasin Kupeli at Celsus Ceramic, a reputable jelweler in Selcuk. celsusceramic72@hotmail.com

Today the journey continues into new unexplored territory for me.  I look forward to all the moments I'm experiencing in this ancient country.

No comments: