Mar 24, 2020

Corona in Puerto Vallarta - Last of the First 5 Days




In 2003, while living in Toronto I slipped, fell, and broke my pelvis. An ambulance picked me up for what should have been a short journey to the closest emergency ward. Three hospitals later, I was finally accepted and registered.

It was right in the middle of SARS and Toronto was the Canadian ground Zero. It took twelve hours before the medical team could even get to me, that was how crazy things were. There was staff shortage, exhaustion, lack of equipment and follow-up beds. I ended up in an extended living facility for the following 3 weeks that wasn't yet under lockdown. It was far enough away from the centre that people there weren't being affected by the disease....yet!

SARS was contained, everyone was relieved, the exhaustion of the front-line workers passed, and life returned to normal. I recovered over the next six months. Looking back, I realize that was our global warning bell saying, "this is what can happen in one city. Get your act together and be prepared for the next time." Unfortunately we didn't listen.

We can't go back and change history but we can become more aware of what is happening around us right now and do everything we can to help. The Mexicans in Puerto Vallarta, as well as snowbirds and expats, are beginning to respond to the new way of being but it is difficult for many of the locals who live hand to mouth because they have to work or they don't eat. I'm expecting the governor of Jalisco may introduce another 2 weeks of self-isolation on day 5 which is tomorrow.

Downtown and the malecon are already dead, restaurants and bars that attract the tourists, closed, but I imagine the markets will remain open. North Americans are spoiled on the most part because our households come with a refrigerator to keep perishables in. Many Mexicans aren't so lucky.

I read Leo Buscaglia's book 'Born for Love' as a daily journal and have been doing so since the mid 90s. I thought today's passage was quite fitting. He talked about the golden rule, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.' I quote of Mr. Buscaglia, "If the dominant theme of our lives has been 'what's in it for me?' we might begin to ask a more essential question, 'what am I able to do for others?' We must do our part to alleviate some of this world's distress."

Emotionally, I've been on a rollercoaster. Even if I do get my scheduled flight out with Air Canada on Friday, I will be in the necessary 14 day self-isolation when I get home. I am usually a person who can focus on a project to the extent I have to tear myself away from it because I often get too entrenched but that isn't the case right now. My mind is going in a dozen directions and when I talk to friends I find the same thing is happening to them.

I try to keep positive by sharing funny clips and videos with my online family. Now that the entertainers of the world are becoming involved and putting on free concerts, I'm sharing the links. We can't go to them so they are coming to us and it certainly takes me out of chaos around me for an hour or two. As I researched for things to enjoy, I came across a song that is so relevant once again. 'We are the World' was originally sung in 1985.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M7c-JOnPdw

Please do what you can. Everything helps, no matter how small.Stay safe everyone and please share this blog post with others!

No comments: