Mar 18, 2020

A Corona in Puerto Vallarta - Day 1



Roosters crow in the background, waiting for the sun to peek up over the mountain so the hand that feeds them will wake up and do so. Dogs bark to the ringing of an inner alarm. I also wake early to the smell of pork rind cooking in the giant vats a block away from where I live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Nothing has changed so far in the morning routine, even in the midst of the coronavirus. Hopefully nothing changes because that is the vendor's livelihood.
I love my neighbourhood and the traditional building I live in with it's wrought iron balcony and arched windows. I have been coming to Puerto Vallarta for many years but this will be the third year that I've rented a place year around. Being able to completely immerse in the neighbourhood has opened my eyes even more to the culture I love.
Creative Power in Mexico!
The neighbourhood is a mixture of middle class workers and more economically challenged people. There are a number of small businesses throughout the neighbourhood, ranging from restaurants to hair salons to electrical supplies to auto-body shops. Every block has their own little tienda, carrying water, chips, bolletas, tortillas, and even beer. The businesses are often just a little hole in the wall, hidden away behind palm trees. Walking by at night or on Sunday one would never realize there was even a business in place after the steel doors are pulled down.The poorer people in the neighbourhood often support the more well-to-do people by supplying housekeeping and gardening services. I don't know what they will do if this virus gets a vicious grip on our beautiful seaside resort.
Corona - how apt for the name of a disease that has hit here. Corona is a popular local tourist beer, one that I stay away from. I prefer Pacifico or Dos xx myself.
The day passes and as we move toward early evening people should be heading for the malecon, finding a pub where they can imbibe in their favourite beverage while watching the sun sink into the ocean. But the malecon is quiet right now as the virus winds its ugly way through the streets. 
Will Puerto Vallarta recover quickly? It's hard to know.

No comments: